The Boca Raton Airport is located near noise sensitive residential communities. In efforts to be a good neighbor, the Airport strives to mitigate the effects of aircraft noise through robust Noise Abatement and Pilot Education Programs.
These programs are administered by the Airport Authority staff who monitor, report and address concerns within the community. These programs were approved by the Federal Aviation Administration through a Federal Aviation Regulations Part 150 study. The staff works closely with area residents and airport users, to ensure the Airport and its tenants remain sensitive to the communities’ needs.
A key element to the success of the program is the Noise Monitoring and Flight Tracking System (NMFTS).
The system is comprised of 7 community noise monitors and a tracking system that monitors local radar. Other various components process, store and calculate statistical data for end users.
The system allows the Airport to get a detailed picture of what is occurring, monitor flight activity over the area, determine runway usage, identify flight tracks and altitudes, and determine any resulting noise impacts on the surrounding community. The system allows staff to directly monitor activity issues in order to effectively respond to community concerns.
Decreasing the Effects of Aircraft Noise
The Noise Abatement Program contains a number of elements, including:
- Noise abatement procedures for pilots
- A citizen input and noise abatement hotline
- Internet-based flight tracking system
- Noise abatement flight cards for pilots
- A 2001 FAA Part 150 Noise Study Update with new Land Use Elements and updated Noise Contours
- Noise Monitoring and Flight Tracking System (NMFTS) with 7 permanent noise monitors throughout the community
The Noise Abatement Program also contains various voluntary flight and operational procedures, including:
- Voluntary night-time curfew
- Limited touch & go activities
- Discouraged stop & go activities
- Recommended noise abatement flight paths
- Authorization required for high power maintenance run-ups
For a more detailed list of the Boca Raton Airport Authority Noise Abatement Procedures.
Increasing Community Engagement
The Airport works as an advocate for the community between the FAA, who sets the flight paths, and pilots who operate the aircraft to ensure noise is minimized. While reducing aircraft noise is of the utmost importance, the Noise Abatement Program is also designed to build open lines of communication between the Airport and our neighbors.
The following functions comprise the Community Affairs side of the Noise Abatement Program:
- Respond promptly to residents’ concerns
- Encourage two-way communication with neighboring communities
- Inquire about specific flights by utilizing the Flight Tracking System
- Check data from the Portable Noise Monitoring System, which records noise levels within residential and other areas of concern
- Communicate with pilots on noise procedures
- Coordinate with nearby airports